Wednesday, September 28, 2011

my childhood grocery list

If you would have asked me a month ago about going vegan I would have laughed in your face. Growing up I didn’t have the greatest examples when it came to food. My mother, bless her heart would occasionally nibble on fudge in the mornings…actually any time of the day. My family’s idea of healthy is turkey bacon fried in two inches of canola oil, ‘canola oil is healthy’ they’d say….uggg! My dad goes on these ‘health’ kicks where he limits his fat to 30g per day. He looses weight but maintaining that for him is a killer.

Switch over to my husbands youth. As a child his father was VERY health conscious and wouldn’t allow sugar in the house. Everything was sweetened with honey…..they were labeled as ‘extreme’ if you can believe that. While I grew up on fluffy, pillowy soft white bread my husband was having dense stone ground homemade wheat bread that never rose higher than 1½ inches. At the time he was embarrassed to show up with his pb&j sandwiches to the school cafeteria but he is now VERY grateful that he was raised the way he was. While I struggle to stay away from the unhealthy whiteness that reminds me of my childhood the hubby has no problem with going whole grain. Lucky for me he’s my rock and we have raised our kids on whole grains with the occasional white flour tortilla in the mix.

I really am surprised at how seamless the transition to vegan has been for me, in fact the hubby was the first to have any kind of slip up….although I understand why, when you stay with others you can’t be rude and turn every bit of food away they present to you. He’s forgiven. Actually since we aren’t switching to vegan for moral issues, more health than anything, I really don’t see the need to make a big fuss about his slip-up. We’re on track and LOVING how we feel….YAY VEGAN!

No comments:

Post a Comment